Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I gave the Argosy the cleaning of a life time yesterday, which gave me the opportunity to really inspect the trailer in great detail. The assessment helps me figure out what it is I need to do to make this baby my own, what I should do first, and honestly how much moolah am I really gonna be spending. 


The Good

1. Brand new tires (with a spare)
2. Stove/Oven works – runs on propane
3. Refrigerator works – can run on propane or electric
4. No leaks! It rained most of the way back from New Mexico so I was really able to find out if it did, but thankfully not a drop anywhere from the ceilings or windows
5. No cracks in any of the windows
6. Carpeting in great shape, so it will stay for now… til I get my hands on the snap-in bamboo flooring I want
7. Exterior paint job looks original and not in too bad a shape

The Bad

1. There’s a busted water pipeline in the bathroom (about a foot long), PO said the copper line froze over the winter
2. The two gaucho covers are pretty beat, will definitely need to replace those
3. There’s a decent size dent in the outer shell on the back right had side of the trailer
4. In a few places, the cabinet vinyl wallpaper (?) has bubbled or is starting to flake away due to sun damage
5. Almost every plastic storage drawer (all original) is cracked or missing handles – thinking of using a clear epoxy paint to strengthen them in order to keep the original drawers 
6. The outer shell caulking around the windows and edges need to be redone
7. Missing outer door back latch
8. Need to replace all window and door rubber lining
9. There are makeshift (pretty pattern!) curtains in the trailer and most of the original curtain fasteners on the track are broken – will need to obtain new ones and find out where to get the accordion curtains that go with this type of track

The Ugly

1. The water pipeline that runs through the trailer looks like it has been replaced or worked on before – however it turns out they completely bypassed the water heater. WHAAAA?! >.< The original pieces are nowhere to be found, so I’ll have to mess around with trying to find the right copper connectors to have the water line routed through the water heater again. With that being said, looks like the water heater hasn’t been used in years… can’t wait to find out what’s up with that… 
2. There is no awning. Or awning arms. So I’ll have to find a used one somewhere in the country or shell out over $1000 for a brand new one by ZipDee.
3. Exterior paint job will cost a pretty pretty shiny penny
4. I decided that since I’m not able to buff and shine the exterior of my Argosy (why? See previous post), I will have my interior walls buffed and shined. This however is no easy task. Apparently, the walls are vinyl clad wallpaper that is quite stubborn according to the endless forum threads out there about it. All I know is that my walls are a creamy white and kind of sticky (even after the deep clean, yuck). So I will start this task today, with a few tips from said forums I think might help expedite and ease the process, and hopefully I will have the walls stripped and polished by the end of the week… or weekend most likely. Fingers crossed it'll be as easy as this guy made it look.
Regardless, the trailer is in EXCELLENT condition for being a ’73. The previous owner really did a great job keeping it in shape with only a few minor fixes that need to be done. Scouring these airstream forums, I’ve come across much much MUCH worse conditions and I am entirely grateful I got so lucky!

Instagram: jeep_chica

1 comment:

  1. Nerd. But the nerd I miss. I can't believe this is the same person who needed the one bedroom because a studio apartment was too small. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete