Monday, July 9, 2012

Airstream Dreamin'!

I've been day dreaming about owning my own Airstream travel trailer for quite sometime now and when an opportunity for my "international dream job" fell through, I saw my chance to pursue this slightly different dream.

Luckily, I had already done my research about travel trailers and turns out I'm a sucker for classics. Sure there are others out there that are much lighter, have newer appliances, bring all the bells n' whistles, etc. But Airstreams are like the Bentley's of travel trailers!
  • They're the best built and light - They're one of the few brands that have their first models still on the road! Built to last baby, built to last
  • They retain their value (gutted 20-30 yr old Airstreams can go for a couple thousand!)
  • Best DIY Support (www.airstreamforums.com)
  • Tons of replacement parts out there 
  • Historical Icon
  • Friends don't let friends tow old square boxes


As I started my search I decided on a few boundaries because knowing myself, I'd get carried away... as I usually do. I decided I wasn't willing for pay more than 4K depending on the year and the condition it was in. The more expensive it is, the longer it will take me to renovate it the way I want. I also decided that I didn't want it longer than 26 feet, I realize the 31 footers are phenomenal, but honestly it's more space than I really need and it's difficult to find places (or parking spots) to park such a massive trailer!

I had initially found a 1968 24ft Tradewind in Walsenburg, CO for $4,300 (there I go already breaking my own rules!) and it was in seriously the best shape I've ever seen in an older model and for the price. I talked the owner down to $4,000 and told her I'd make the 2 hour drive south on the 4th of July to pick up my new home. Success! Not... the night before, I received an email stating that it had been sold. This happened a few more times actually, super frustrating. 


A few days ago I found a 1973 26ft Argosy in Espanola, New Mexico for $3,500. Now, I was a bit hesitant at first because I kind of had my heart set on the shiny silver exterior that most Airstreams have. However, the Argosy's were the first to have the wrap-around panoramic windows in the front, which would increase natural light dramatically and the potential view could be breath taking. It wasn't until the mid-80s that the silver Airstream models were constructed with the wrap-around windows. Otherwise, they just have the little square widows on each end. 


I researched info about the exterior of Argosy's and I like having the option of painting the trailer whatever color I want or a cool silver/gray to match the other models. However, it unfortunately will not be an option to make it a shiny silver bullet. Arogsy's have an aluminum middle body with swirled markings done for paint prep (which can be polished out), but have steel end caps (which cannot be polished to obtain that trademark shine). 



Either way, I got a bit anxious and didn't want to lose out on yet another trailer - so after talking the owner down to $3,000, I pulled the trigger on it and made the 12 hr round trip through northern New Mexico hoping and praying that they wouldn't sell it before I got there. It was such a gorgeous drive - so lookin' forward to more trips like this with the new Airstream.



Needless to say, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it! It has so much potential and I'm just way too excited to start working on it. The previous owners have kept this ol' girl in great shape! I am now the proud owner of a 1973 26ft Airstream Argosy.


Instagram: jeep_chica

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahahaha oh my god Nina, you are just wonderful. Now this is really cool. I can't wait to check your new baby out in person. Better haul that bad boy to Indiana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Just curious how your little pickup pulled that trailer.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. occupational therapy home

    ReplyDelete